Monday, April 7, 2014

Mystery Solved


Here's a mystery-- I will show you a picture I took, you guess how the hole was formed. 

The hole is in a rock, you find them all around Daytona and surrounding towns as a decorative lawn ornament. This one was at Flagler beach on the way to St. Augustine.




Do you like my shoes? I must have a 100 thousand miles on them, they are ready to retire. Yes, they are Crocks, my very fave pair of shoes. HA HA, I only have three pair of foot coverings, those crocks a black pair of flip flops and black sneakers. I'm doing the 333 project, you have to count your foot ware, so I stick to the basics. 

If your curious about the 333 project you can google it, it's a challenge not a rule kind of thing. I do it because its way closer and cheaper than Mount Everest! I'm not into cold or hiking beyond a day trip or two, so the 333 project is perfect, seeing I love minimalism also.  

Talk about fun I went to the thrift store today while Charlie was at a board meeting for the park. I found the nicest vintage Ball jar fitted with an old tin cap! 
YAHOO!!  $2.00 , 50% off. One dollar!!




It is so cute, wonder what I will put in it ?? 

OK, behind this door, or should I say under this door is your answer to the hole in the rock mystery. 




Coquina, it is a rock made millions of years ago, by the sedentary layering of coquina shells and the shells of mollusks, clams, lime stone, red sand all squished together. And how is the hole formed ?
I was so mystified by the holes when we moved here, most of the people in our park don't even know how they are formed. Mystery solved (I googled it). 
Millions of years ago all those shells and sand washed around the Palm tree trunks on the coast, so when the palm died there was a perfectly round hole to mark where it had been. Some of the holes are large and some are smaller in diameter, they are truly fascinating to see.  

WOW! Mother Nature "rocks".  Pun Pun ...

Now you can sleep easy. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment