Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Cooking Craziness

This afternoon was dark and cloudy, a perfect day to cook.
  Yesterday I had met a friend at Barns and Noble book store for coffee.  Before she got there I had eyed and picked up a gluten free baking book.  Well, I won't lie it was actually right in the foyer as you go in, see how pathetic I am when it comes to books, I wasn't even IN the store yet and already picked out a book.  But it was on sale! $7.98, you can't beat that price... Especially since this GF cookbook called for cheap ingredients, right up my alley!


I had made the oatmeal cookies yesterday, with little chocolate chips in them. But, in true Alice fashion, I refused to buy the xanthan gum because it was sixteen dollars!!! (In the back of my mind I was sure it was a frivolous ingredient, the recipe only needed two teaspoons.) 
I have to say the cookies were incredibly yummy, Charlie loved them.  Umm, did I mention they came out more like granola. OK !  Turns out you must use xanthan gum when cooking GF or what you bake falls apart. 
 I just laughed, I crack myself up when my cheapness come back to bite me.  
I did find a small package of said chemical hiding in the door of my fridge.  Truly I could not remember if it was in  the fridge here in Florida or the one in Lake George; I had squirreld one away in one of them - yup it was here. 
So today I tried again.  Did I mention I love to bake? 


I try to do my concocting when Charlie is gone, I think he would be horrified if he could see how distroyed our kitchen gets. 


I love the freedom of not worrying how crazy messy the kitchen gets, it's all in the name of sweet comfort food and uninturupted concocting ooh la la. 
Today it was GF scones, they were really good, I made them small so we would have more of them. 


Crunch, crunch - Aaha ..... 
PS, the recepie needed two tablespoons of 10x sugar, yah to cheap again, but this time I tried making some in our vita mix - oh yea!, worked perfectly! 
See, that's why I get in a pickle sometimes, I gamble on my odds of being able to work around an expense.  But, I did learn you do have to use xanthan gum when they call for it. 

Bye ... Crunch crunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment