Saturday, March 22, 2014

Farmers Market



Nice and warm today. Earlier it looked like a storm was coming. I'm new at forecasting weather down here, maybe New England farmers lore dose not apply. Give me ten or so years of snow-birding and I might figure it out, who am I kidding when professionals have a difficult time. Mother Nature is a fickle woman. 

This morning we went to the farmers market in downtown Daytona, in the historic section. We looked all around, it was crowded with people. I was surprised at the lack of diversity among vendors and what they were selling they were mostly all large produce sellers not the truck farmers that bring garden produce like up north. Down here lots of veggies are ripe now, Kale, green beans ,arugula, I expected to see these types of things along with family farmers. I was a little disappointed at that, but we did get some good deals at one of the larger produce booths. 
There was one interesting booth that had nearly expired grocery items for sale. We bought some gluten free cookies, cold medicine, gourmet veggie chips and a couple other things, all priced close to a dollar each and not expired. I guess the word market can mean "flea" even if it says Farmers in front of it.

One result of going to the market, it motivated me to make some lemon ice waster. The music/entertainment booth had free water and it had lemon and limes in it, we had some on our way out. So on our way home Charlie and I decided to drop by the produce market and get some lemons and limes. Limes are my new favorite juice since I was introduced to it by a friend up north, it tastes good on all sorts of veggies I would never have thought of it.  
In the market I found the lemons right off but I did not see the limes. I found a clerk and asked for them. He told me there had been a flood where the limes grow and it wiped out the current crop so they did not have them. He also said "if we did get them now they would cost about five dollars each" he felt this was unreasonable to ask and customers would not pay such a price anyway. He's right! So no limes- sad face for Alice, but the lemons did make good juice for the water.


After getting home and making some refreshing lemon water, I was inspired to make a bracelet. I have seeing people lately wearing gobs of bracelets on there wrists, so I tried my hand at it. I will experiment more but was satisfied with this one. Of course to get the real look you have to have at least three of them and this is only one. Well, maybe I better get busy- see ya.




2 comments:

  1. One criticism....take off the silly verification....you don't need it. Spam is usually caught by blogger, and if not, just hit delete. People are more likely to comment if you don't have it.
    And where did you come up with ONE DIRT LAND?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will call you to help me with the verification - Monday we are out of gigs till then. One dirt land is sorta like alicenoneland LOL - I will take all the tips I can get.

    ReplyDelete