Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Getting Stuff Done

Wow!  Sorry I've been gone so long.  We had company for a couple of days and then I was trying to get things done outside, which I'm still behind on. 

I finally got the tomatoes in that we bought a couple of weeks ago. I planted them deep with LOTS of compost around their feet to ensure they will get big and strong. 


Yes, I admit it is a little haphazard and busy growing in amongst the milkweeds.  But, I am declaring this the summer of the milkweed. 

Wherever one starts to grow if it is within the parameters of a garden it can keep growing. So, yes they are all haphazard and Willy Nilly all over.  But it's in tribute to the dieing Monarch butterfly population.  Even if none fly this way.  When anyone sees these plants they may contemplate how mans giant footprint is driving even the smallest creatures from this planet.  

I have a flower bed along the edge of our driveway that I used to plant with corn but the grey squirls would attack it and make it very ugly.  So, now I have cosmos (the tall variety) growing and for the last two years they have reseeded themselves - thank you very much! 


The end of this area too has numerous milkweed growing in it also.
From the bottom of pic to the milkweed clump is all volunteer cosmos! They grow faster than the weeds, as long as no hurricans pass buy when they are taller they make a beautiful hedge. 

Got to run, but remember if you can allow a few milkweed plants grow at your home it would be a thoughtful tribute to a small harmless creature that is dieing out as we expand. 

Bye .... 

No comments:

Post a Comment